Start an American Outlaws chapter
The American Outlaws (AO) is powered by local chapters which embody our mission to “unite and strengthen” the U.S. soccer fan base in communities large and small at home and abroad.
A local American Outlaws chapter is a way to unite fans around our national teams and give your community a permanent presence in America’s growing soccer culture.
We empower U.S. soccer fans to create sustainable chapters and host watch parties for every game as a benefit to their community and visiting fans.
Interested in starting a chapter?
Check our chapter list to see if there’s a chapter near you already. If there’s already a chapter, join the American Outlaws and get ready to meet your new friends at the next watch party!
We list some chapters as looking for a steady hand or a few more local leaders. Live in town and want to step up? Send us a message.
If your community is listed as “unofficial”, then one of your neighbors is working on starting a chapter. Sign up as an AO member, find their effort to found a chapter on social media, or send us a note after you join.
Don’t see your community or a nearby effort? Read our chapter criteria below then use this form to tell us you want to put your community on the map. Our team will reach out to you soon!
- Have a minimum of 35 paid American Outlaws members.
- Have a “home base” we can list online and fans can expect to meet to watch each game.
- Host a viewing party at your home bar for every game.
- Complete the AO chapter registration process. Upon becoming official incorporate as a non-profit, adopt by-laws, and open a bank account. Chapters are expected to comply with all state, local and federal laws including filing and paying applicable taxes.
- Chapter can have a specific logo and create approved merchandise to improve local drip and tell them who you are when scarves go up.
- Chapter can participate in national promotions which include free swag and promotional items.
- Chapter bars and events receive local recognition to all U.S. fans.
- Chapters receive $5 per member dues from AO National to fund local initiatives.
- Put your community on the map as a permanent part of America’s growing soccer culture.
Find a local bar that is willing to host US fans and show US Soccer games, with sound, every time there is a game. Don't just look for the most convenient bar, although location is important.
Find a bar that is willing to partner with you, and hopefully build it into a true soccer bar together. The right bar owner/manager has proven to be more important than the right location in most cases. Make sure the bar is welcoming for all U.S. fans.
Use social networks to communicate with local leagues, clubs, professional teams and soccer groups in your area (make sure to include that you are "unofficial"). Talk to local newspapers and blogs. Request materials from us, so that you can promote. Ask the bar to help advertise your events!
Once you get some people attending, ask each person to invite one of their friends to experience the passion of watching a U.S. Game with fellow U.S. fans. It's a much better experience than watching at home, after all. You experience it once, and you'll be hooked!
Becoming an official chapter requires 35 official American Outlaws members. Our goal is to ensure the chapter has local support and a base large enough to be sustainable, not just a pop-up for the World Cup.
There are a ton of benefits of being a member (including an annual shirt!). The best way to sign people up is to have a computer or tablet available at the bar with the webpage ready or to print a QR code linked to join. Ask us for the QR code if you need it!